This is a light white bread with more liquid than most, but don 't worry because the tender loaf turns out just fine.
- ½ cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 2 ¼ teaspoons active dry yeast
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoons warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
- ¾ cup warm milk (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 ½ cups bread flour
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- In a small bowl stir together the warm water, sugar, and yeast. Stir to dissolve and set aside.
- In a large bowl dissolve baking soda with the 1 1/2 teaspoons warm water. Add the warm milk, salt, and one cup of the flour. Beat with a wire whisk until smooth. Beat in yeast mixture and remaining flour. Batter should be thick, sticky, and smooth.
- Prepare 2 pie pans with non-stick spray. Dust pans with cornmeal. Place 1/2 dough in each pie pan. Batter will spread during rising time. Spray top of dough with non-stick cooking spray. Cover and let rise for one hour.
- Repeat spraying of bread with non-stick cooking spray. Bake in a preheated 375 degree F (190 degrees C) for 20 minutes.
- Allow to cool for an hour before slicing.