Fresh green beans are slow-cooked in a savory broth in this summery recipe inspired by a trip to the farmers market.
- 8 slices bacon, coarsely chopped
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 2 ½ pounds fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large red onion, sliced on the diagonal
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper, or more to taste
- 1 tablespoon seasoned salt (such as LAWRY'S®), or more to taste
- Place bacon in a small pan and cook over medium-high heat, turning occasionally, until almost crisp but not fully cooked, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Place chicken broth, green beans, onion, vinegar, sugar, garlic, black pepper, and seasoned salt in a slow cooker. Add bacon and stir to incorporate fully. Cook on High for 1 hour.
- Turn slow cooker down to Low and cook for 7 hours more. Taste and adjust seasoning. Serve in a large bowl with some of the broth.