A not-too-sweet and fruity pie. Saskatoon berries are known as serviceberries in the United States. This berry has often been compared with blueberries though it has more of an apple flavor.
- 4 cups fresh serviceberries
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ¾ cup white sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
- In a large saucepan, simmer berries in 1/4 cup water for 10 minutes. Stir in lemon juice with berries. Combine sugar and flour together in a medium bowl, then stir into berry mixture. Pour mixture into a pastry lined 9 inch pie pan. Dot with butter. Place second crust on top of pie; seal and flute edges.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes. Then reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) and bake for an additional 35 to 45 minutes, or until golden brown.