Rich coconut macaroons get a salted caramel twist in this easy thumbprint cookie recipe that's great for parties.
- 5 ½ cups sweetened flaked coconut
- ⅔ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup caramel ice cream topping
- ½ tablespoon
- Arrange racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper or nonstick foil.
- Stir coconut, flour, and salt together in a large bowl. Stir in sweetened condensed milk and vanilla extract until well blended. Use a medium cookie scoop to scoop and drop 2-inch balls of dough onto the prepared sheets. Using your thumb, make an indentation in each dough ball.
- Bake in the preheated oven until coconut is toasted and bottoms are golden, 15 to 17 minutes, rotating pans halfway through. If cookies puff, re-press centers with the rounded side of a measuring teaspoon. Cool on the sheets for 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack; cool completely.
- Spoon a scant teaspoon of caramel topping into each indentation. Sprinkle each with several flakes of sea salt.