Beans and farro add high protein to this hearty Italian soup. Make it vegetarian by replacing chicken broth with vegetable stock; if you skip the cheese, it can be vegan as well.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes with juice
- ½ cup water
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ cup farro
- 2 ½ cups baby kale
- ½ (14.5 ounce) can great Northern beans, drained
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese, or to taste
- Heat a large pot over medium heat. Add oil, onion, and garlic and cook until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add chicken stock, tomatoes, water, basil, oregano, black pepper, and red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil and add farro. Cook over medium-high heat until farro is softened, 20 to 25 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low; add beans and kale. Cook 5 minutes more and serve with Parmesan cheese.