I have been looking for a good Russian Black Bread recipe. This one is the closest I have come. The vinegar adds a bit of a bite, but believe me, with cheese it is marvelous.
- 1 ½ cups water
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 ½ cups bread flour
- 1 cup rye flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons dark corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 1 tablespoon caraway seed
- ¼ teaspoon fennel seed (Optional)
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- Place ingredients into the bread machine in order suggested by the manufacturer.
- Use the whole wheat, regular crust setting.
- After the baking cycle ends, remove bread from pan, place on a cake rack, and allow to cool for 1 hour before slicing.