Crisp romaine, crumbled bacon, mandarin orange segments, toasted almonds, and a homemade vinaigrette make this green salad a standout.
- 6 slices bacon
- ⅓ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¾ cup white sugar
- ½ red onion, coarsely chopped
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 10 cups torn romaine lettuce leaves
- 1 (10 ounce) can mandarin orange segments, drained
- ¼ cup toasted slivered almonds
- Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain, crumble and set aside.
- Place vinegar, sugar, red onion, mustard powder, and salt into the bowl of a blender. Cover, and puree on high until smooth. Reduce blender speed to medium-low; slowly pour in the vegetable oil and blend until incorporated and the dressing is creamy. Stir in the poppy seeds and set aside.
- To serve, toss the romaine in a large bowl with the crumbled bacon, Mandarin oranges, and enough dressing to moisten. Place onto salad plates and sprinkle with toasted almonds.