This recipe makes the kind of cake-like cookies you'd spend a fortune on in an Italian bakery, and includes almond, apricot, and raspberry.
- 8 ounces canned almond filling
- 5 eggs, separated
- 1 cup margarine
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 ¼ cups sifted all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 3 drops green food coloring, or to taste
- 3 drops red food coloring, or to taste
- ¼ cup apricot preserves
- ¼ cup seedless raspberry jam
- 6 (1 ounce) squares semisweet chocolate
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease three 13x9x2-inch pans; line with waxed paper and grease waxed paper.
- Mix almond filling, egg yolks, margarine, and sugar together in a bowl using an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Combine flour and baking powder in a bowl. Stir into almond mixture.
- Beat egg whites together in a bowl using an electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form. Fold into almond batter.
- Divide batter equally among 3 bowls. Add green food coloring to 1 bowl; add red food coloring to another. Leave the third bowl uncolored. Pour the contents of each bowl into the prepared pans.
- Bake in the preheated oven until edges are golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes. Invert onto wire racks, remove waxed paper, and turn right-side-up on a baking sheet.
- Spread apricot jam onto the surface of the green cake; top with the plain cake. Spread raspberry jam onto the plain cake; top with the red cake. Cover with plastic wrap; set a heavy cutting board or flat pan on top. Refrigerate 8 hours to overnight.
- Place chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl; heat in the microwave until melted, 1 to 2 minutes. Spread melted chocolate onto the surface of the cake. Allow to set, about 15 minutes.
- Cut off all 4 sides of the cake to make the edges clean and even. Cut the cake into 1-inch strips; cut strips into bite-size pieces.