Quinces in a cake! This polenta and almond flour cake with a hint of orange is topped with fresh quinces. It's a deliciously delicate cake that just happens to be gluten-free.
- 1 quince - peeled, cored, and sliced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 medium eggs
- ½ cup cane sugar
- 1 cup almond meal
- ½ cup polenta
- 1 orange, juiced and zested
- ½ cup plain yogurt
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sliced almonds (Optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Butter and flour an 8-inch round cake pan.
- Place quince in a bowl and cover with fresh water; add lemon juice and set aside.
- Cream together eggs and cane sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer on medium speed until pale. Add almond meal, polenta, yogurt, orange juice, orange zest, and baking powder and mix until just combined. Pour batter into the prepared cake pan.
- Drain the quince and top the batter with quince slices, pushing down slightly to make them fit.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes. Cover cake with aluminum foil and continue baking until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 20 minutes more.
- Allow to cool about 30 minutes before topping with sliced almonds.