A simple way to enjoy purslane, which is a weed that you might be able to forage in your own backyard! It is tossed with a simple mix of cherry tomatoes and cucumber.
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3 small Persian cucumbers, thinly sliced
- salt to taste
- 1 bunch purslane
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Combine cherry tomatoes and cucumbers in a salad bowl. Sprinkle generously with salt, stir well, then leave to sit while you prepare the purslane.
- Rinse purslane well, then pat dry with a tea towel. Pick off any large leaves and the tender stems at the top and place in a bowl. Discard the larger sections of the stems.
- Check tomato-cucumber mixture; by now, tomatoes should have released juices thanks to the salt. If not, stir well and let sit 5 minutes more.
- Add purslane to the salad bowl with the tomatoes and cucumbers. Drizzle with olive oil and toss well. Serve immediately.