Roasted pumpkin and pears add sweet undertones to this creamy bisque topped with crumbled goat cheese.
- 1 (2 pound) pie pumpkin, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 3 pears - peeled, cored, and sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 slices bacon, diced
- ½ onion, diced
- ½ bulb fennel, diced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 4 cups chicken broth
- ½ cup crumbled goat cheese
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
- Place pumpkin chunks on one side of a rimmed baking sheet. Place sliced pears on the other side. Drizzle with olive oil and mix around to coat.
- Roast in the preheated oven, stirring halfway through, until pumpkin is easily pierced with a fork, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, fry bacon in a large pot over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add onion and fennel; cook until onion is soft and clear, about 5 minutes. Add butter and garlic; season with cinnamon, salt, and pepper. Add pumpkin and pears. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Pour in chicken broth to cover all the vegetables. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Puree soup with an immersion blender until smooth. Serve hot, with crumbled goat cheese on top.