Leftover bones from a prime rib roast are easily made into this tasty soup.
- 4 small (blank)s beef ribs, trimmed from a cooked prime rib roast
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 potato, peeled and cut into 3/4 inch pieces
- 1 (8 ounce) package sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup chopped fresh chives
- Place the ribs in a large pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the meat is falling from the bones, about 2 hours. Remove the ribs and allow to cool. Trim the meat from the ribs and cut into bite sized pieces; refrigerate. Continue simmering the broth until reduced to 1 cup; refrigerate until the fat congeals to the top.
- Skim and discard the congealed fat. Pour the broth into a saucepan along with the meat trimmings, beef stock, potato, mushrooms, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes. Sprinkle with chives to serve.