Using a pressure cooker to make this flavorful chicken soup speeds time cooking the pearl barley; a process that normally takes 1-2 hours can happen in 9 minutes. If you don't have a pressure cooker, use a heavy stockpot for stovetop cooking, add more stock, as some will cook away, and allow more cooking time.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 eaches Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup pearl barley
- 1 cup green lentils
- 1 bone-in chicken breast half, skin removed
- ½ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained
- 1 (16 ounce) bag fresh spinach leaves, chopped
- 1 cup mild salsa
- heat 1 teaspoon olive oil in a pressure cooker over medium heat. Add sausage meat, and cook until browned, breaking it into crumbles. Remove sausage to a plate and drain oil. Add another 1 teaspoon of olive oil to pressure cooker; cook onion and garlic until onion is transparent. Add barley and stir 1 minute. Return sausage to pressure cooker. Add lentils, chicken, parsley, and chicken stock to cooker, adding enough stock to completely cover chicken. Close cover securely; place pressure regulator on vent pipe. Bring pressure cooker to full pressure over high heat (this may take 15 minutes). Reduce heat to medium high; cook for 9 minutes. Pressure regulator should maintain a slow steady rocking motion; adjust heat if necessary.
- Remove pressure cooker from heat; use quick-release following manufacturer's instructions or allow pressure to drop on its own. Open cooker and remove chicken; shred meat and return to soup. Add garbanzo beans, spinach and salsa; stir to blend and heat through before serving.