Sauerkraut and Polish sausages are simmered in a creamy, mild sour cream sauce scented with caraway seed.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup water
- 2 medium (2-1/4" to 3" dia, raw)s potatoes, sliced
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 2 tablespoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- ½ teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can sauerkraut, drained
- 1 pound kielbasa sausage
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sour cream
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Heat the butter in a large skillet with a lid over medium heat; cook and stir the onion and garlic until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in the water, potatoes, carrots, beef bouillon granules, sugar, and caraway seeds; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer, and cook until the potatoes and carrots are tender, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes.
- Place the sauerkraut on top of the vegetables in a layer, and place the sausages onto the sauerkraut. Cover, and cook until the sausages are heated through, about 15 minutes.
- Whisk the flour into the sour cream in a bowl, and stir into the sauerkraut mixture. Bring to a simmer to thicken the sour cream, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and serve hot.