Roasted eggplant pasta sauce is a fun change from your typical tomato sauce, with a big flavor boost from roasted eggplants and garlic.
- 2 small eggplants, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 6 cloves garlic, crushed and peeled
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 (16 ounce) package penne pasta
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Spread eggplants and garlic cloves on a rimmed baking sheet. Brush with 1/2 cup olive oil; season with salt and pepper.
- Roast in the preheated oven until soft, about 20 minutes.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil while eggplants and garlic are roasting. Add penne and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender yet firm to the bite, about 11 minutes. Drain.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Place eggplants and garlic in a food processor; process into a smooth paste. Stir paste into the onions in the skillet. Stir in tomatoes. Cook until heated through, about 5 minutes. Season sauce with salt and pepper. Toss hot penne and basil into the sauce and mix together.