This is the signature drink at my in-law's home. My father-in-law developed a taste for margaritas made from scratch during the summer they spent in Zihuatanejo during the 1960s. After decades of tinkering he has arrived at this foolproof recipe for the ultimate Mexican cocktail.
- 5 fluid ounces tequila
- 3 fluid ounces fresh lime juice
- 1 fluid ounce sweetened lime juice
- 3 fluid ounces triple sec (orange-flavored liqueur)
- ice cubes
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- rimming salt
- Measure the tequila, lime juice, sweetened lime juice and triple sec into a cocktail shaker and add a generous scoop of ice. Cover and shake until the shaker is frosty, about 30 seconds.
- Rub a lime wedge around the rim of a margarita glass and dip in salt. Fill each glass with ice. Strain equal amounts of the cocktail into the glasses to serve. Garnish with a lime wedge.