Panko-breaded and pan-fried, these golden and crispy grits cakes make a great side dish, appetizer, or breakfast alternative.
- 3 cups water
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup uncooked grits (such as Bob's Red Mill®)
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup panko bread crumbs
- ⅓ cup butter
- Bring water and salt to a boil in a pot over high heat. Add grits and reduce heat to low. Cook slowly, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 5 to 15 minutes. Remove from heat, cover, and let stand for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Pour grits into a greased loaf pan and let cool slightly, 10 to 15 minutes. Cover and refrigerate until firm, 1 hour to overnight.
- Remove chilled grits from the pan and cut into 1/2-inch slices. Place beaten eggs into a shallow dish and panko bread crumbs in another; dip each slice of grits into eggs, followed by bread crumbs.
- Heat butter in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Fry breaded grits slices in the hot butter until golden brown, about 5 minutes per side. Season with salt.