Tender cooked chickpeas are simmered lightly with tomatoes, lemon juice and onions in a spicy blend of toasted cumin seeds, chili powder and lemon pepper. Served warm, this makes a deliciously fragrant appetizer.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon lemon pepper
- 2 eaches tomatoes, chopped
- 2 (15 ounce) cans garbanzo beans, drained
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 onion, chopped
- In a large pot over low heat, warm oil and cumin; heat until cumin turns a darker shade of brown.
- Add salt, chili powder and lemon and pepper seasoning; mix well. Stir in tomatoes; once the juice begins to thicken add in chickpeas and mix well.
- Add in lemon juice and mix well; add onions and stir until they become soft.
- Remove from heat and place into a serving bowl; serve immediately.