Crushed Oreos(R) and a decadent homemade chocolate sauce take this peppermint-flavored ice cream pie--topped with nuts, chocolate chips, and whipped topping--to serious heights.
- 1 (14 ounce) package chocolate sandwich cookies (such as Oreo®), crushed
- ½ cup melted butter
- ½ gallon peppermint ice cream, softened
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 cup white sugar
- 6 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 (1 ounce) squares unsweetened chocolate
- 1 (12 ounce) container whipped topping (such as Cool Whip®)
- 2 cups chopped peanuts (Optional)
- 1 (10 ounce) package miniature semisweet chocolate chips (Optional)
- Combine chocolate sandwich cookies and melted butter in a large bowl. Press mixture into the bottom of a 9x13-inch baking dish. Spread softened ice cream over the cookie crust and place in the freezer.
- Combine evaporated milk, sugar, cocoa powder, butter, and unsweetened chocolate in a saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Continue to cook, stirring frequently, until thickened, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Spread cooled chocolate sauce over frozen ice cream layer and return to the freezer for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Spread whipped topping over chocolate sauce layer and top with peanuts and chocolate chips. Put back in the freezer until frozen, at least 15 minutes.
- Allow to soften for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.