Semifreddo is a classic Italian frozen dessert. You don't need an ice cream maker, and it can be prepared in differently shaped molds for special occasions.
- ½ cup orange juice
- 1 (.25 ounce) package unflavored gelatin
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 egg yolk
- ½ cup white sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 1 orange, cut into wedges
- Pour orange juice into a saucepan. Sprinkle gelatin powder on top. Let stand until softened, about 1 minute. Place over low heat; stir constantly until granules are completely dissolved, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool, about 1 hour.
- Beat egg whites in a glass, metal, or ceramic bowl until foamy. Gradually add sugar, continuing to beat until stiff peaks form. Combine egg yolks and sugar in a large bowl; beat using an electric mixer until pale and fluffy. Set aside.
- Beat cream in a chilled glass or metal bowl using an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Fold into the large bowl with the egg yolk-sugar mixture, followed by the stiff egg whites. Fold orange-gelatin mixture and orange extract into the large bowl with the egg yolk-cream mixture.
- Pour mixture into a mold and freeze 8 hours to overnight. When it's time to serve, dip mold in hot water to loosen bottom and sides; turn out onto a serving plate. Decorate with orange wedges.