Make your own baked tofu! A salty, sweet marinade made with orange juice, soy sauce, and sesame oil, and seasoned with garlic and ginger is used to make this yummy version.
- 1 pound firm tofu
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- ⅓ cup soy sauce
- ⅓ cup canola oil
- 4 teaspoons dark sesame oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger root
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 green onions, cut into 1-inch strips
- ¼ cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 peppers dried chipotle chile pepper
- Turn the tofu on its side, and cut it into 4 thin slices. Lay the tofu flat again, and cut the block diagonally to make 8 triangles. Without separating the pieces, place tofu on a cutting board. Cover, with a paper towel, and place a heavy skillet on top. Set aside for 30 minutes, allowing time for excess water to drain from the tofu.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the orange juice, vinegar, soy sauce, oils, garlic, ginger, and red pepper flakes. Separate the pressed tofu pieces, and arrange in a baking dish in a single layer. Cover with the marinade, and sprinkle with the green onion and cilantro. Cut the stems off the chiles, remove the seeds, and place the chiles in the baking dish. Cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, and up to overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Pour off some of the marinade, so the tofu is covered halfway. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, without turning, until the tofu is golden and most of the marinade has been absorbed.