Dry pinto beans cook up creamy, spicy, and delicious when slow simmered on top of the stove, generously seasoned, and mixed with mozzarella cheese and pico de gallo.
- 6 ¼ cups water
- 1 cup condensed chicken broth
- 2 pounds dried pinto beans
- 5 cloves cloves garlic, chopped
- ½ red onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes, or to taste
- salt, or to taste
- 1 (8 ounce) package shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 (16 ounce) container pico de gallo
- Combine water, condensed chicken broth, beans, garlic, onion, and crushed red pepper flakes into a large saucepan; season to taste with salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer; cover. Cook, stirring occasionally, until beans are soft, about 3 1/2 hours. You may need to add additional water to keep the beans from drying out.
- Mash cooked beans with a potato masher to desired consistency. Stir in mozzarella and pico de gallo before serving.