The flavors of Morocco in an easy one-pot chicken recipe.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes, with liquid
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup olives, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons raisins, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger root
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped cilantro, or to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat and cook onion until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add chicken, tomatoes, carrots, celery, water, olives, raisins, ginger, salt, paprika, cumin, turmeric, oregano, cinnamon, and cayenne pepper; mix to combine. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until chicken has cooked through and flavors have mingled, 25 to 35 minutes.
- Stir in lemon juice and garnish with cilantro.