This steamed salmon is easy to put together and served with a Japanese sauce of ginger, soy sauce, mirin, and sesame oil.
- 1 (1 pound) salmon side, bones removed with pliers
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger root
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon mirin (Japanese sweet wine)
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- Quarter or halve salmon side. Set aside.
- Combine chicken broth, ginger, minced onion, soy sauce, mirin, and sesame oil in a large, heavy pot. Bring liquid to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce heat to a simmer.
- Place a steamer basket into the pot. Lay salmon in the steamer basket in a single layer. Cover pot and steam, 5 to 7 minutes, checking salmon for desired doneness. Remove salmon and keep warm.
- Boil liquid until it has reduced into a sauce, 2 to 4 minutes. Spoon over steamed salmon.