This recipe is one of my mother's refrigerator cookies that she made when I was little. The old fashioned sugar cookies that you have on your home page is exactly what mom used to make. They are wonderfully soft and a touch of nutmeg in them. You could not believe how many memories it brings back to me. This is another memory to enclose to you. This is a sandwich type cookie spread with jam in the center.
- ½ cup shortening
- ¾ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon water
- ¾ cup any flavor fruit jam
- Cream together the shortening and sugar and beat in the egg until light.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt and mix into the creamed mixture. Stir in the oatmeal and water until blended. Roll into a 2 inch roll and chill in the refrigerator for several hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Slice cookie dough thinly and bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 6-8 minutes. Cool and put together in sandwiches with jam.