Here's a muffin packed with antioxidants in the apples, cranberries and nuts, fiber in the oats and even cinnamon to cut blood sugar. All benefit your cardiovascular system.
- 1 egg
- ¾ cup fat free half-and-half
- 3 tablespoons canola or olive oil
- ⅓ cup Splenda or sugar
- 1 medium apple, peeled and chopped
- ¾ cup dried cranberries or raisins
- ½ cup walnut pieces
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- In a bowl, beat together egg, half-and-half, oil, and Splenda (or sugar). In a large bowl, combine remaining ingredients. Fold egg mixture into dry mixture, just to moisten.
- Fill non-stick muffin tins 3/4 full. Bake 15 to 20 minutes.