This stunning three-layer cake is flavored with chocolate, strawberry, and banana drink mix powders for a Neapolitan twist, and comes complete with a cream cheese frosting.
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 ½ cups unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 6 eggs, at room temperature, separated
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 ½ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 4 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 2 pinches salt, divided
- 1 ½ cups whole milk, at room temperature
- ½ cup chocolate-flavored milk powder (such as Nesquik®)
- ½ cup strawberry-flavored milk powder (such as Nesquik®)
- 9 drops red food coloring, or as desired
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, at room temperature
- ½ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ½ cup shortening
- 1 (16 ounce) package confectioners' sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour three 9-inch round cake pans.
- Combine sugar and butter in a bowl and cream using an electric mixer until light and fluffy, scraping down the sides and blending for a total of 5 minutes. Add egg yolks slowly, 1 at a time, beating into creamed butter mixture. Beat in vanilla extract.
- Sift flour, baking powder, and 1 pinch salt together in a separate bowl. Add to creamed sugar mixture in 3 batches, alternating with milk and blending after each addition. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl and blend for 1 minute more; batter should be smooth and consistent. Separate batter evenly into 3 mixing bowls, about 2 1/2 cups in each.
- Beat egg whites and remaining salt together in a bowl using a whip attachment until stiff peaks form.
- Fold 1/3 of the whipped egg whites into 1 bowl of batter and pour into a prepared cake pan for the vanilla layer.
- Fold 1/3 of the whipped egg whites and chocolate-flavored milk powder into another bowl of batter. Pour into another prepared cake pan for the chocolate layer.
- Fold remaining 1/3 of the whipped egg whites, strawberry-flavored milk powder, and red food coloring into remaining bowl of batter. Pour into the remaining prepared cake pan for the strawberry layer.
- Bake cake layers in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center of each comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool for about 15 minutes before flipping layers onto a wire rack to cool to room temperature, 20 to 30 minutes more.
- Combine cream cheese, butter, and shortening in a bowl and cream together until smooth. Scrape down the bowl and add confectioners' sugar. Blend until frosting is smooth.
- Assemble and frost the cooled cake layers and decorate as you please.