Momma's Peppers...Whenever my mother prepares this Stuffed Bell Pepper dish, everyone in the family finds an excuse to 'drop by' for a visit to my parents' home. Being a fourth generation native New Orleanian, my mother offers a plate of food to anyone who stops by for a visit...that's why this recipe makes twelve servings!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning
- 1 teaspoon file powder
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 ½ pounds ground beef
- ¾ pound cooked ham, finely chopped
- 1 pound baby shrimp
- 1 (16 ounce) package unseasoned dry bread stuffing mix
- 6 large green bell peppers, halved and seeded
- 1 cup plain bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- Heat oil in a large pot over low heat. Saute onion, celery and chopped green pepper for 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, and saute for 2 minutes. Season with parsley, Creole seasoning, file powder, salt and pepper.
- Increase heat to medium high, and add ground beef. Cook until beef is evenly browned. Stir in ham, and cook for 5 minutes. Add shrimp, and cook for 2 minutes. Remove from heat, and stir in stuffing mix.
- Stuff each bell pepper half, and lightly sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Place stuffed bell pepper halves in ungreased baking dish. Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour.