Omurice, a Japanese omelet filled with fried rice and vegetables, is a quick vegetarian meal to prepare for Meatless Monday.
- 1 potato
- ½ large carrot, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- ½ onion, diced
- ½ red bell pepper, diced
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- ¾ cup peas
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 4 eggs
- 4 egg whites
- ¼ cup milk
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon ketchup, or as desired
- Place potato and carrot in a microwave-safe bowl; heat in microwave until tender, 5 to 10 minutes. Cool until easily handled. Peel potato and dice.
- Heat olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter in a skillet over medium heat; cook and stir onion and red bell pepper until tender, 5 to 10 minutes. Add potato, carrots, rice, and peas; cook and stir until heated through, about 2 minutes. Stir ketchup into mixture.
- Whisk eggs, egg whites, milk, salt, and pepper together in a bowl.
- Heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat; melt 1 1/2 teaspoons butter. Pour 1/2 of the egg mixture into skillet and cook until set, pulling sides up with a spatula to let uncooked egg run under to cook, about 5 minutes. Spoon 1/2 of the rice mixture onto 1 side of cooked egg and fold egg over; continue to fold egg over until seam is on the bottom. Slide omelet onto a serving plate. Repeat with remaining butter, egg mixture, and rice mixture.
- Squeeze a curvy line of ketchup down the center of each omelet before serving.