A simple, old-fashioned potato salad has only 5 ingredients, featuring hard boiled eggs and sweet pickles.
- 5 pounds potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 10 large eggs eggs
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 (24 ounce) jar sweet pickles, drained and chopped
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- Place the potatoes in a large pan of water and boil over medium-low heat until tender, about 12 minutes. Drain the potatoes, and place in the refrigerator to cool.
- Place the eggs in a saucepan of cold water over medium heat, and bring to a full boil. Turn off the heat, cover the pan, and allow the eggs to sit in the hot water for about 15 minutes. Cool the eggs thoroughly under cold running water and shell them. Chop the cooled eggs and place them in a large salad bowl.
- Stir the onion, sweet pickles, and mayonnaise into the eggs, and let the mixture chill in the refrigerator at least l/2 hour to blend the flavors. Mix in the chilled chopped potatoes, and refrigerate for at least 1/2 hour. Serve cold.