There's no need to buy mulling spices for mulled wine or hot apple cider when you most likely you have all of the ingredients in your pantry and spice cabinet.
- 1 medium orange
- 1 small lemon
- 2 cinnamon sticks, crushed
- 1 tablespoon whole allspice berries
- 1 tablespoon whole cloves
- ½ tablespoon cardamom pods
- ½ tablespoon whole black peppercorns
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees F (95 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Zest and peel orange and lemon. Cut peels into thinnest strips possible. Distribute zest and peels evenly on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven until zest and peels are dry, 60 to 75 minutes.
- Combine dried zest, dried peels, crushed cinnamon, allspice, cloves, cardamom and peppercorns in a large bowl.