In this quick and easy recipe for meze, a traditional Turkish dish, fava beans are cooked until tender, with onion, lemon juice, and dill.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ onion, chopped
- 1 ½ pounds fresh fava beans, shelled
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon white sugar
- salt to taste
- ½ cup chopped fresh dill
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onions; cook and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute. Toss in fava beans and cook until slightly tender, about 2 minutes.
- Mix 2 tablespoons water and flour together in a bowl; pour into the fava bean mixture. Add 1 cup water, lemon juice, sugar, and salt. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer until fava beans are very tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir dill into the fava bean mixture; continue simmering until flavors are combined, about 2 minutes. Let cool to room temperature.