This recipe for homemade tomato sauce is done in under one hour, making it a great option for when you need spaghetti sauce on the fly.
- 8 pounds Roma (plum) tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, minced
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 sprigs fresh basil, or more to taste, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons red wine
- coarse salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Puree tomatoes in a food processor until smooth; strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl.
- Heat olive oil in a large, deep pot over medium heat. Stir strained tomatoes, onion, Parmesan cheese, basil, garlic, and red wine together in the pot with the oil; season with salt and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook at a simmer until thickened, about 25 minutes.