This cheese-enhanced squash casserole is quick and easy to prepare and will please all the members of your family.
- 8 medium (blank)s yellow summer squash, thinly sliced
- 1 small yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup low-fat sour cream
- 1 sleeve buttery round crackers (such as Ritz®), crushed, divided
- 2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 1-quart casserole dish.
- Place a steamer insert into a saucepan and fill with water to just below the bottom of the steamer. Bring water to a boil. Add squash and onion, cover, and steam until squash is tender and easily mashed with a fork, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Whisk egg and sour cream together in the prepared casserole dish; add squash, onions, 2/3 the crackers, and 2/3 the Cheddar cheese. Stir with a fork. Cover the squash mixture with remaining Cheddar cheese and crackers.
- Bake in the preheated oven until cheese is melted and crackers are lightly browned, about 30 minutes.