Wontons filled with cream cheese and imitation crabmeat are a favorite from Hawaii. Serve them with a variety of Asian-style sauces for dipping.
- 1 quart oil for deep frying
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 (12 ounce) package imitation crabmeat, flaked
- 1 (5 ounce) can water chestnuts, drained and chopped
- 5 medium (4-1/8" long)s green onions, chopped
- 2 (14 ounce) packages wonton wrappers
- Heat oil in a large, heavy saucepan to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- In a medium bowl, mix the cream cheese, soy sauce, imitation crabmeat, water chestnuts and green onions.
- Place approximately 1 teaspoon of the cream cheese mixture in the center of each wonton wrapper. Fold into triangles and seal edges with moistened fingers.
- In small batches, fry the wontons in the hot oil 3 to 4 minutes, until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.