These lemon-walnut bars are a perfect treat for a hot summer day--or any time you want a blast of citrus sunshine.
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- ½ cup sifted confectioners' sugar
- 2 cups white sugar
- 4 large eggs eggs
- 1 lemon
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 ½ cups chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (160 degrees C). Grease a 9x13 inch pan.
- To make crust: In a large mixing bowl, beat together the butter, 2 cups of the flour, and confectioners' sugar until fluffy. Scrape mixture into the pan and smooth. Bake 15 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs and sugar. Grate the rind of the lemon and add the rind, along with 6 tablespoons of lemon juice, to the egg mixture. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of flour and the baking powder over the mixture. Fold in the nuts and mix until well blended. Pour the lemon mixture into the crust.
- Bake for another 35 minutes, until filling is set. Let cool before cutting.