This roasted milk custard dessert is cooked, chilled, and then inverted onto a serving platter so the caramelized sugar topping is front and center.
- ½ cup white sugar
- 4 ½ tablespoons water
- 4 ½ cups milk
- 1 cup white sugar
- 8 large eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Combine sugar and water for caramel in a heavy saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring constantly, until golden brown, 5 to 10 minutes. Pour into a 9x5-inch glass baking dish, completely coating the bottom.
- Combine milk, sugar, eggs, and vanilla extract for custard in a mixing bowl; beat with an electric mixer until well mixed. Pour into a fine mesh strainer over the caramelized sugar.
- Bake in the preheated oven until custard is set but still slightly jiggly in the center, 45 to 55 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool completely, 15 to 20 minutes. Place in the refrigerator for 6 hours to overnight.
- To serve, slide a knife along the edges of the baking dish to loosen custard. Place a plate or platter on top of the dish and carefully and quickly invert. Remove the baking dish and serve.