Shrimp and Swiss cheese are stuffed into jumbo pasta shells, baked in a creamy sauce with mushrooms, and topped with Parmesan cheese for a rich-tasting, impressive main dish.
- 1 ½ pounds large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- ½ cup sour cream
- ¾ cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 36 eaches jumbo pasta shells
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- ½ cup chopped green onions
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- ¼ cup white wine
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 cup freshly shredded Parmesan cheese
- Fill a pot with water, bring to a boil, and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook the shrimp in the simmering water until they turn pink and opaque, 3 to 4 minutes. Drain the shrimp, and cut in half; mix the shrimp, sour cream, and Swiss cheese in a bowl.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9x12-inch baking dish.
- Fill a large pot with lightly salted water and bring to a rolling boil over high heat. Once the water is boiling, stir in the pasta shells, and return to a boil. Cook the pasta uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the pasta has cooked through, but is still firm to the bite, about 13 minutes. Gently remove the shells with a slotted spoon. Stuff 18 shells with about 1 1/2 tablespoon of the shrimp mixture, place them in the prepared baking dish, then cover each stuffed shell with another shell to enclose the filling.
- Melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat. Cook and stir the mushrooms and green onions until the mushrooms give up their juice, about 3 minutes. Stir in the flour, white wine, salt, pepper, and half-and-half cream. Cook, stirring often, until thickened and smooth. Pour the sauce over the stuffed shells. Sprinkle the top with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the cheese has melted and begun to brown and the sauce is bubbling, about 25 minutes.