Red and black beans join barley, rice, peppers, and green onions in this robust salad, dressed with a fiery vinegar and oil dressing. Makes a great side dish for ribs or a grilled steak.
- ½ cup pearl barley
- ½ cup long-grain white rice
- 1 cup canned black beans, drained
- 1 cup canned kidney beans, drained
- 1 cup whole corn kernels, cooked
- ½ cup chopped green onions
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 8 leaves lettuce
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ cup olive oil
- In a large saucepan bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Stir in barley and reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 40 to 45 minutes or until tender. Let cool.
- In a saucepan bring 1 1/2 cups water to a boil add the rice. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered for about 20 minutes or until tender. Let cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the cooled barley, rice, black beans, kidney beans, corn, onions, red bell pepper and cilantro. Mix well.
- To make dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, garlic, chili powder, salt, red pepper flakes and black pepper. Whisk in oil and pour over salad and toss well. Transfer to a lettuce-lined bowl to serve.