Whole wheat angel hair pasta and chopped kale receive the puttanesca treatment of capers, anchovies, and caramelized onions.
- ½ (16 ounce) package whole-wheat angel hair pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ large onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon drained capers
- 1 (2 ounce) can anchovy fillets, drained and quartered
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups coarsely chopped kale
- 1 (4 ounce) can sliced black olives, drained
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese, or to taste
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions, garlic, and red pepper flakes. Cook and stir until the onion has softened and begun to turn golden brown, about 5 minutes. Stir in capers, anchovy fillets, and diced tomatoes, and bring to a simmer. Stir in kale, and simmer over medium-low heat until wilted and tender, about 10 minutes.
- Once the pasta has cooked and been drained, stir into the puttanesca along with the black olives. Toss and sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese before serving.