Golden Curry(R) sauce mix, which is more savory than spicy, provides the ultimate umami flavor to this Japanese-inspired chicken recipe.
- 1 ½ pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast, or more to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, or as needed
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 5 ⅓ cups water, divided
- 1 (7.75 ounce) package curry sauce mix (such as S&B® Golden Curry®)
- 1 (15 ounce) can peas, drained
- 5 new potatoes, halved
- 1 (8 ounce) package sliced cremini mushrooms
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cups jasmine rice (such as Mahatma®)
- Place chicken in a large, deep skillet. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper on both sides. Add 1/3 cup water to the pan, cover, and cook over medium heat until no longer pink in the center and the juices run clear, about 20 minutes.
- While chicken is cooking, pour 2 cups water into a microwave-safe bowl. Break curry sauce mix into pieces and add to water. Heat in the microwave on high for 3 1/2 minutes; remove and stir until sauce mix has completely dissolved.
- Remove chicken from the skillet. Cut into cubes, return to the skillet, and pour curry sauce over top. Stir in peas, potatoes, mushrooms, carrots, and onion. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring remaining water and rice to a boil in a saucepan. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until rice is tender and water has been absorbed, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Scoop rice into bowls and serve curry on top.