Delicious and attractive little cookies, with a thumb indentation filled with preserves. Fill with different colored preserves for an interesting presentation.
- ⅔ cup butter
- ⅓ cup white sugar
- 2 large egg yolks egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 large egg whites egg whites, lightly beaten
- ¾ cup finely chopped walnuts
- ⅓ cup strawberry preserves
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease cookie sheets, or line with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks, vanilla, and salt. Gradually mix in flour.
- Shape dough into 3/4 inch balls. Dip in lightly beaten egg whites, then roll in finely chopped walnuts. Place 1 inch apart on prepared cookie sheets. Press down center of each with thumb.
- Bake for 15 to 17 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely. Just before serving, fill centers of cookies with strawberry preserves.