Mini meatballs mingle among orzo, parsnips, spinach, and more veggies in this Italian wedding soup that'll turn any dinner into an occasion.
- ¼ pound ground pork
- ¼ pound ground beef
- 1 egg white
- 3 tablespoons panko bread crumbs, or more as needed
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 parsnip, diced
- ½ cup minced onion
- 1 tablespoon herbes de Provence
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup orzo pasta
- 2 cups chopped fresh spinach
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Mix pork, beef, egg white, bread crumbs, and Italian seasoning together in a bowl. Form very small, pea-sized meatballs.
- Heat oil in a soup pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add carrots, celery, parsnip, onion, herbes de Provence, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. Cook and stir until vegetables are soft, 7 to 10 minutes.
- Pour chicken broth into the pot; bring to a boil. Add the mini meatballs and orzo pasta. Reduce heat to low; let simmer until flavors combine, 15 to 20 minutes. Add spinach; cook until wilted, 2 to 3 minutes. Garnish with Parmesan cheese.