Broccoli rabe is marinated in a fragrant garlic, anchovy, and olive oil paste, sauteed in a skillet, and served with toasted pine nuts in this wonderful Italian side dish.
- ½ cup olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon anchovy paste
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 bunches broccoli rabe, trimmed
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ½ cup pine nuts
- 1 wedge lemon
- Combine 1/2 cup olive oil, garlic, anchovy paste, and salt in the bowl of a small food processor; blend into a paste.
- Remove leaves from broccoli rabe and cut off and discard the bottom 1/4 of the stalks. Cut remaining stalks into pieces.
- Fill a large bowl with ice and cold water. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add broccoli rabe and cook uncovered for 1 minute. Drain in a colander and immediately immerse in the ice water for several minutes to stop the cooking process. Drain. Wrap broccoli rabe in cheesecloth, place in a strainer, and run under water for 10 minutes. Periodically press the rabe to “wring out” any bitter fluids. Pat dry and transfer to a resealable bag. Add anchovy paste and crushed red peppers; marinate for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toast pine nuts in a skillet over medium heat, stirring frequently until browned and fragrant but not burned, about 2 minutes. Remove from the pan and set aside. Reduce heat to medium-low and add 1 teaspoon olive oil to the skillet. Add broccoli rabe and cook until fork tender and lightly browned, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer to a plate, top with pine nuts, and drizzle with lemon juice.