This vegan chili con yaca is loaded with layers of flavors and is easily prepared in an Instant Pot(R), making it a new go-to dish that even meat-eaters will like!
- ½ cup dry black beans
- ½ cup dry kidney beans
- ½ cup dry pinto beans
- 10 ounces frozen green jackfruit, thawed and drained
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup cremini mushrooms, chopped
- ½ cup oyster mushrooms, chopped
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 fresh jalapeno peppers, chopped, or to taste
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 7 ounces fresh pumpkin - peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels
- 1 cup dark beer
- ¼ cup strong brewed coffee
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons liquid smoke flavoring
- 3 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons bitters (such as Angostura®)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon dried Mexican oregano
- 1 tablespoon crushed dried chipotle pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Soak the black beans, kidney beans, and pinto beans in separate bowls in warm water for 1 hour to help remove gas-producing compounds. Pat the drained jackfruit dry.
- Turn on a multi-functional pressure cooker (such as Instant Pot®) and select Saute function. Heat olive oil in the pot. Saute jackfruit pieces until browned, 5 to 7 minutes. Add cremini mushrooms, oyster mushrooms, onion, jalapenos, and garlic. Saute until onion is soft and translucent, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Turn off Saute function. Add drained beans, crushed tomatoes, pumpkin, corn, beer, coffee, and tomato paste. Fill the empty crushed tomato can with cold water and pour it in. Add liquid smoke, soy sauce, bitters, brown sugar, Mexican oregano, chipotle pepper, cumin, coriander, smoked paprika, paprika, cinnamon, salt, and black pepper. Stir to combine. Close and lock the lid. Select Stew function according to manufacturer's instructions; set timer for 25 minutes. Allow 10 to 15 minutes for pressure to build.
- Release pressure using the natural-release method according to manufacturer's instructions, 10 to 15 minutes. Unlock and remove the lid; stir.