This wonderful Jamaican chicken curry with potatoes and carrots is quick and easy to make in your Instant Pot(R).
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons Jamaican curry powder
- 1 fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded and sliced
- ¼ teaspoon ground thyme
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 ½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 3 pieces each
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 pound baby carrots
- 3 cups steamed basmati rice (Optional)
- Turn on a multi-functional pressure cooker (such as Instant Pot®) and select Saute function. Heat ghee. Add onion and cook until starting to turn clear, 2 to 3 minutes. Add garlic and ginger and cook, stirring, until garlic is fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in Jamaican curry powder, jalapeno, thyme, salt, and pepper until well combined.
- Pour in 1/4 cup of chicken broth, scraping off the browned bits from the bottom of the inner pot. Add chicken pieces, potatoes, and carrots; stir until well coated with the spices and seasonings. Pour in remaining chicken broth. Close and lock the lid.
- Select high pressure according to manufacturer's instructions; set timer for 6 minutes. Allow 10 to 15 minutes for pressure to build.
- Release pressure using the natural-release method according to manufacturer's instructions for 10 minutes. Release pressure carefully using the quick-release method, about 5 minutes. Unlock and remove the lid. Serve over steamed rice.