Carrots, celery, and barley add heartiness to this tomato-based hamburger soup that's easy to make in the Instant Pot(R).
- 1 ½ pounds ground beef
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 (14.5 ounce) cans beef consomme
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups water
- 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed tomato soup
- 4 eaches carrots, finely chopped
- 3 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons pearl barley
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- Turn on a multi-functional pressure cooker (such as Instant Pot®) and select Saute function. Cook and stir beef and onion until browned, 5 to 10 minutes. Pour in beef consomme, tomatoes, water, and tomato soup. Add carrots, celery, barley, thyme, and bay leaf.
- Close and lock the lid. Select Soup function; set timer for 30 minutes. Allow 10 to 15 minutes for pressure to build.
- Release pressure using the natural-release method according to manufacturer's instructions, about 10 minutes.