This cheesy Mexican lentil and rice recipe is a great side dish and takes minimal time and effort to prepare, thanks to the Instant Pot(R). Leftovers can be turned into a bean dip.
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chile peppers
- ¾ cup brown lentils
- ¾ cup brown rice
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro, or to taste
- Combine chicken broth, tomatoes, lentils, rice, onion, jalapeno peppers, garlic, taco seasoning, oregano, and cumin in a multi-functional pressure cooker (such as Instant Pot®). Close and lock the lid. Select high pressure according to manufacturer's instructions; set timer for 8 minutes. Allow 10 to 15 minutes for pressure to build.
- Release pressure using the natural-release method according to manufacturer's instructions, about 10 minutes.
- Open the lid and stir in 1/2 of the Mexican cheese blend. Sprinkle remaining cheese over the top. Put the lid back on top and let sit for 4 minutes. Garnish with cilantro.