I never complain about making risotto. In fact, I make it when I want to get something quick on the table. But when I spent over an hour and a half making one with brown rice, I decided to try it out in my Instant Pot®. It's awesome.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 ½ cups cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup short-grain brown rice
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 1 ¼ cups mushroom broth
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Turn on a multi-functional pressure cooker (such as Instant Pot®) and select Saute function. Heat oil; add mushrooms, rice, and shallot, allowing the shallot and mushrooms to saute and the rice to toast just slightly, about 5 minutes. Turn off the Saute function. Stir in broth and wine. Close and lock the lid.
- Select high pressure according to manufacturer's instructions; set timer for 23 minutes. Allow 10 to 15 minutes for pressure to build.
- Release pressure using the natural-release method according to manufacturer's instructions for 12 minutes. Release any remaining pressure carefully using the quick-release method, about 5 minutes. Unlock and remove the lid.
- Season with salt and pepper. Stir and serve immediately.