Baking ham over chicken broth produces flavorful juices you can spoon over a super easy-to-make dressing of mushrooms, apples, and celery.
- 2 Grimm's Honey & Maple Half Hams
- ¼ cup hot water
- ¼ cup unsalted chicken stock
- 1 cube chicken bouillon
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1 large firm baguette
- 7 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cups celery, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cups Ambrosia apples, chopped
- 2 cups white mushrooms, sliced
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh sage, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, mix together the hot water and chicken stock; dissolve the bouillon cube into this mixture. Pour this into the base of a roasting pan and place a roasting rack over top. Place the hams in the centre of the rack, drizzle with the maple syrup, and cover with foil.
- Place in the preheated oven for about 25 to 30 minutes, or until the hams are warmed through. Baste hams halfway through to keep them from drying out.
- Meanwhile, start on the dressing. Cut the bread into roughly 1/2-inch cubes. Place in a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- Melt 4 tablespoons butter in large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and celery; saute until tender and beginning to brown, about 10 minutes. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Add apples; cook until tender and beginning to brown, another 10 minutes. Stir in mushrooms and saute until tender, about 3 minutes. Add the bread cubes, mix gently until well incorporated, and reduce heat to low.
- Melt 3 tablespoons of butter in another pan over medium heat. Add herbs and toast over low heat for about 5 minutes, until fragrant. Remove from heat and pour over the bread mixture, mixing everything together over low heat. Cover.
- Remove ham from the oven. Immediately pour the liquid from the pan over the dressing and simmer, covered, for 5 minutes or until all the liquid has been absorbed. Let the ham rest for a few minutes in the meantime.
- Slice ham and serve immediately alongside the dressing.